With mosquito-borne diseases such as the Zika virus on the rise, these pests are no longer just an annoying nuisance. Now that temperatures in Florida are reaching into the 90s, it’s time to take extra precautions to control mosquitoes around your home.
Don’t be attractive to mosquitoes
To help protect yourself and your family from dangerous mosquitoes, it’s important to do all you can to repel them:
- Stay covered outdoors with long pants, long-sleeved shirts, socks, and shoes. Light colors and breathable fabrics, such as linen, can make wearing more clothing more comfortable in the heat.
- Use an insect repellant on exposed skin and reapply it as the label directs. The Centers for Disease Control recommend that adults use products that contain one of these active ingredients: DEET, oil of lemon-eucalyptus, picaridin, para-menthane-diol, or IR3535. If you also use sunscreen, apply it first.
- Clothing and gear can be treated with permethrin or you can purchase items that have been pre-treated with permethrin. This product is not for use on skin.
Control mosquito populations outdoors
Make your property unfriendly to mosquitoes:
- The smallest collection of water can give mosquitoes a breeding spot. Make it a weekly habit to inspect your yard for standing water in planters, flowerpot saucers, trash containers, buckets, birdbaths, and even toys.
- If you must have containers outdoors that have no lids, cover them with wire mesh with holes too small for adult mosquitoes to get in.
- Septic tank owners should inspect tanks for cracks or gaps and repair them, and cover pipes or open vents with wire mesh.
Mosquito control indoors
Mosquitoes can even breed indoors if conditions are right. Take these mosquito prevention steps inside your house:
- Regularly check door and window screens for tears. Even the tiniest hole can let mosquitoes in.
- Use air conditioning when possible and keep doors and windows closed.
- Regularly empty or discard anything that may hold or collect water inside your home, such as flower vases.
- Inspect dark, humid areas that attract mosquitoes, such as under sinks and in the laundry room.
Have your home and lawn protected by professionals.
There are do-it-yourself options for home pest control, but for the most effective treatments, rely on experienced professionals.
Turner Pest Control offers affordable mosquito treatment plans priced according to your needs and the size of your yard. Our technicians are experts at finding mosquitoes’ breeding spots and applying the most effective treatments. Learn more about how our mosquito control services can help reduce exposure to mosquitoes or contact us today.