Rodents can carry diseases that pose a threat to people and pets, but did you know they can also damage your car? It’s true—rats and mice will gnaw on anything to sharpen their teeth, including the wiring in your car. Rodents chewing wiring can even be a problem in your home’s electrical system. If you have an infestation of rats or mice, they may be the culprits behind your car problems at best, and a fire danger to your house at worst.
To promote awareness about what rodents can do to property and health, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has designated October 21 through 27 as Rodent Awareness Week. Here’s advice from the NPMA and Turner Pest Control’s rodent extermination experts on how to avoid rodent problems by taking a few smart precautions.
Tips for preventing residential rodent infestations.
If there’s a way into your home, rodents—who can squeeze through gaps as small as a dime—will find it. The good news is that there’s a lot you can do in and around your home and your car to keep rats and mice at bay.
These are the top 10 tips for avoiding rodent problems, according to the NPMA’s consumer education site, PestWorld.org:
- Keep screens and weatherstripping on doors and windows in good repair
- Screen openings to chimneys and screen vents
- Seal entry points such as where plumbing and utilities come into your home
- Seal entry points into your garage
- Reduce the moisture that rodents seek: Keep crawl spaces and attics dry and ventilated, repair leaky pipes, and unclog drains
- Keep stacks of firewood at least 20 feet from your house
- Cut shrubbery back from your house and keep it trimmed
- Store food (for both people and pets) in air-tight containers
- Regularly dispose of garbage and keep it well sealed
- Inspect packages, boxes, and bags you bring into your home or car
- Check under your vehicles’ hoods for rodent droppings and frayed wires, and signs of gnawing or nesting; according to an article on how to protect your car from rodents on ConsumerReports.org, rodents can chew on a car’s wiring, plastic parts, and hoses, and even clog air-conditioning ducts with nests.
High-tech rodent control for businesses.
Our comprehensive commercial rodent control services include Anticimex SMART, the latest digital solution that prevents infestations. We’re one of just four pest control companies in the U.S. that offers this non-toxic, powerful technology to our commercial customers. Get in touch with our dedicated commercial pest control team for more information.
Contact us if you see a rodent in your home.
It’s true that if you see one rat or mouse, others are likely waiting nearby. Contact our rodent control experts at the first sign of trouble for a free, no-obligation quote on ridding your home and property of rodents.